Friday, May 17, 2013

May 9th Update

Here is another update from Erin for May 9th, 2013

"Hi Everyone,

I am in my first area and out of the MTC. I am in State College near Pennsylvania State College. My companion/trainer is Sister Robinson. Since I arrived here a couple days ago I've helped with a couple lessons, done some street contacting, and watched some bus contacting. 

I've noticed that it likes to randomly rain here and there and to try and be prepared for that. Other than the random rain the weather is pretty nice as are the people. 

Everything is different out here compared to the MTC. Although I am in an English speaking missionary we have two Chinese speaking investigators so we have a language barrier. In our apartment building there are another set of Sister Missionaries and they are considered the 1st set and we are considered the send set so that people know who they are talking about. 

We were able to do some service today at a rest home today. Today on the 10th, I had a bit of an adventure, one not so fun but funny to look back on. This morning I woke up feeling like I needed to throw up so I drank a lot of water and ate a small breakfast of grapes. As the day progressed I thought I felt better so I ate lunch. Lunch was chili and crackers. Something we do a lot of here in State College is travel on buses to get to places. That is what we were doing when I knew if I stayed on that bus, I would throw up on someone. So I turned to my companion, Sister Robinson, and said we needed to get off now. We were at Walmart stop so I just rushed to the bathroom as fast as possible. I barely made it to the toilet before I threw up. I went back out and told Sister Robinson that I just lost everything I ate. We went back out and waited for the next bus and went home. I slept 6 and half hours straight. I think I was sick because of a combination of lack of sleep at the beginning of the week and adjusting to change as the week went on. 

It has been an interesting week. My first day in the field, I had two lessons. One lesson I asked someone if she would like to be baptized and she said yes. 

Because of my bus adventure we had to cancel a lesson with an investigator named Young but he was willing to set up a lesson for Tuesday. I also found out that he will be coming to church on Sunday. Candice, our investigator with a baptismal date will be coming church as well. 

That's all for this blog. 

Sister Erin Kingsford."

No comments:

Post a Comment