Monday, September 9, 2013

September 9, 2013

Picture of Erin Kingsford
Just a note for September 8, 2013 TO everyone! Erin got transferred and we are not sure of her address at this point. I assume will find out next Monday.
So on Tuesday we were setting up lessons with a couple of people and I mentioned to Sister Yates that it looks like we meet our goal for the week in member present lessons. She seemed shocked but said nothing about it until later when we were beginning to eat lunch. She let me know that my statement was a silent rebuke. She had been going through motions of "Oh, maybe we can reach that this time" and "We'll say 1 because we can't say 0". By pointing out that we might be able to reach our goal, she realized that she needed to stop going through the motions. Later that day, our investigator, Kaui, did not show. We found out later (we only have his email) that he was running behind from class and was headed our way at the time we had scheduled the lesson for. We are currently trying to reschedule the lesson. From there we went to the Interfaith Fair. A few people talked to us about what we believed but none were very interested. We ran into a few former investigators though. We were able to see Adam, Hope, and Kevin. Sister Robinson and I had previously taught Adam and Kevin but had had to drop them for varying reasons. With Hope, she is so busy her lessons keep getting canceled and we have yet to be able schedule a new one. That night we had dinner with the Lewis family. It was super fun to be around a family. That night after dinner we went bus contacting. Sister Yates hates bus contacting because the bus drivers think that we are weird for riding the bus for hours on end without getting off. We were talking (somewhat arguing) about what stop to get off at because either way we would get home early. I told her we should wait a couple more stops but she wanted to get off then. I pointed out that we had already planned on getting off at that stop and she agreed. Then she goes to talk to the only other person on the bus, besides and the driver, who is sitting across from her. His name is Reza and he had missed his stop. She talked with him about we believe and gave him a Book of Mormon. We, of course, missed the stop had been planning on getting off at but we ended walking back anyway. What was really cool was that he asked "How do I become a Mormon?". It made our day. Then when we were home, one of our potentials contacted US.

Wednesday we had district meeting. We started late because a member needed a blessing and the elders had to have the other sisters in the room with the member (woman). Elder Daniels delayed starting as much as possible because he was unable to plan for the meeting. He let us know that he had not slept at all the previous night and was unable to make a plan for the meeting. So we just talked about what was going on in our areas and tried to come up with things that would help us improve our numbers. After lunch, Sister Yates and I went to my doctor's appointment. After a a detailed conversation with the doctor, it looks like my stomach problems might be solved with one gigantic pill. We had dinner with Sam Webb and the other sisters at a place called The Diner, it was pretty good. We then headed to Institute.

Thursday morning was rather awkward. During the night, Reza had texted us but I had not seen the text until morning. From what he was saying it was rather obvious that he believed he was going on a date with us. At first he had asked us to go meet him in a bar! We told him that we would not do that and he choose somewhere else but then the whole time situation wasn't working so we said we would have to wait to meet with him, possibly next week. After studies we walked to Walmart and picked up my medicine (the pill bottle is giant!). At Forums, all of the missionaries were low in supplies so we were doing our best with what we had. We handed out Institute class pamphlets, multiple Book of Mormons, pamphlets (Plan of Salvation, Restoration, and Gospel of Jesus Christ), and what pass along cards we had. That night we went to the Relief Society activity for the 2nd ward. It was fun. We were able to meet more of 2nd ward. Sister Done (she is in the Stake Young Women's Presidency).

Friday we had a lesson with Candice about teaching and learning in the church and service. The lesson went real well. We had dinner with a member, Rob, who was having some problems with his roommates whose standards are not the same. We went to Baby's and it was amazing. On the was to the bus stop, Rob was walking with us when he walked into a lamppost. Sister Yates burst out laughing. He wasn't hurt but his pride was. That night on the bus heading to a meeting when we ran into Reza again. Sister Yates taught him about the Restoration, the Plan of Salvation, and Word of Wisdom in a 30 minute bus ride. Not only was Reza listening but a couple of other bus passengers too. On the walk home from the Walmart bus stop, I got a  transfer call. It was official, I was leaving State College.

Saturday we were in isolation. The reason being a Penn State home game. We talked with our district leader and he talked to the zone leaders. The consensus was for us to stay home because it was not safe or productive for us to be out. After studies, the sisters (Sisters Hanseen, Hurdsman, and Yates) gave me a makeover. There are pictures. When they left, I began to pack. It took me less then 2 hours to pack everything. We then had Dominos with the other sisters (no one wanted to cook - the other sisters spent nearly 6 hours cleaning their apartment). Later that night, the State College Elders (Elder Vassallo and Elder Trotman) showed up. They knocked on the door wanting to see the after of the makeover (they had talked to the other sisters first), only to find me in the middle of putting multiple braids in my hair. It was kind of funny.

Sunday morning, I got ready and dolled up once again because I knew I wanted a ton of pictures with branch members before I left. One of the members said they did not recognize me when they saw me (my hair was full on curled). After church, we had a lesson with a girl named Anqi (An-chee) and it went rather well. Sister Yates and her new companion will meet with her again this Thursday. After dinner at the Collins we headed to the church to finish training. On a picnic bench we did the last of Sister Yates training. We then headed into the church for the CES Fireside - Elder Nelson. Sisters Romero and Franklin (they had served in State College before and are off of their missions) were visiting and we were able to watch it with them. It was an amazing experience.



No comments:

Post a Comment